Sunday, September 27, 2009

74. Why I don't capitalize 'antichrist'.

.
Actually, in the early weeks of the blog, I did capitalize it for a while, inconsistently though. But I eventually grew to feel that I did not want to give the antichrist any idea that his name (or better, 'title') was worthy of being capitalized.

God is worthy of being capitalized, Jesus Christ the Son is worthy, and the Holy Spirit is worthy. The holy angels such as Michael and Gabriel are worthy, and the saints that have gone before us like Peter, John, and Paul are worthy of being capitalized.

But the antichrist is not worthy. My refusal to use the capital A is one small way of demeaning him, making him in print as worthless as he actually is, or perhaps, will be.

But now I admit myself to be inconsistant, in that I still tend to capitalize Satan, the devil. I'm going to have to watch out for that. I'll probably never have the time to go back and redo months of blogposts, so I probably won't, but watch for me to be more consistent here regarding the Unholy Trinity (I mean unholy trinity), that devil satan, the antichrist, and the false prophet.

Ha! I reduce you satan. I marginalize you, antichrist. I consider you as nothing, false prophet. And if you are not on the scene now, you can read this once you appear.

But even then I wonder about typing so many words, about such a little person...
.

3 comments:

  1. You don't capitalize words like "Antichrist" to give the being respect, you do it for clarity, because it is a proper noun. If you can't follow the rules, don't write. You'll be doing literate bloggers and readers a favor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anon (notice capitalization). There are exceptions to the rule of capitalizing proper names. One of the main exceptions involves the very name of God in the Bible. 99.9%+ of the time the word G-o-d refers to 'the God of the Bible' and is capitalized. Very infrequently in the Bible, the g-o-d word refers to other lesser gods, or as it points out in one context, the so-called gods which are actually not gods at all.

    Did you have any questions or comments other than grammar and punctuation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very good tip particularly to those new to the
    blogosphere. Simple but very precise info… Many thanks
    for sharing this one. A must read article!

    My blog post - more

    ReplyDelete