Tuesday, September 1, 2009

65. Q - What Version of the Bible do I use...

...when I print biblical text in a post?

First, I would call your attention to post #20 called "Open Your Bibles -- But Which One?" where I have addressed the issue of what I consider the best versions/translations of the Bible. The four that I like the best will appear again below.

For accurate bible study, for me or you the reader, the version/translation used should be as literal as possible, and as understandable as necessary. I have binders set up with almost all the Bible Prophecy passages with three versions in three columns: The ESV, the NASB, and the NIV. Also, I rely upon the NKJV. Click on the post #20 link above, for more information about each.

But here, let me say that I can grade these in order of literalness as:
1. NASB - 98% - a very literal word-for-word translation produced by a small group of people.
2. NKJV - 95% - not so much a translation, but a reworking and rewording of the original KJV to bring it up to current language use.
3. ESV - 90% - attempts to be as literal as possible, but as flowing as necessary. This version attempts to avoid the woodenness that some people find in the NASB & NKJV.

and 4. NIV - 75% - does not attempt to be literal, but attempts to be accurate in this sense: that the sentences and phrases in the NIV may better express what the human writer wanted to say than a literal word-for-word translation. I use this version to sometimes help me determine a better word or group of words. The NIV is the most popular version of the Bible, and is much more accurate than many of the newer lesser known versions.

(Note: I believe the Bible to be the very word of God, written through fallable men, but not incorporating any of the fallenness of man. I also believe that the personality of the biblical writers is not submerged by the will of God, but instead comes out in full fruition. Peter writes much differently than Paul, who writes much differently than John, and so on. But what they have written is exactly what God chose to have written. Over time, differences between the ancient manuscripts have occured, but these differences occupy less than 1% of the bible, and they do not change any major doctrine the least little bit.)

Now the answer to the post subject question: Rarely do I use any single version/translation in the blogpost. More often, I start out with one version, and select better words from the other versions, and on occasion, better phrases. But in all cases, the words that I use have been approved by some Bible translation group in recent years. I have done this with the classes I have taught for some 30 years.

And I always recommend using more than one version for Bible study.

Did I make my answer clear? If not, write a comment and ask for a replay.
.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your continued work to write these Blogs. Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could post more, more often. But I'm at a little less than a one-per-day pace -- that's probably all most people have time to read. I finally got my photo on here -- or perhaps I should say a photo of what I am going to look like in 10 years.
    :^)
    Larry

    ReplyDelete