Friday, March 5, 2010

91. A political comment -- and a promise

.
First, the promise: This blog is NOT going to turn into a political blog, and is absolutely going to remain an end-times, last-days blog for the purpose of education, instruction, preparation, and warning.

However, I posted this comment today on a friend's blog, and thought it worth repeating here. This friend is a co-laborer in both the political and spiritual arenas.

Posting this here preserves and demonstrates my commitment to "not be so heavenly-minded that I am no earthly good." I thought that this relates much to "Future History", and I welcome your comments.


Sadly, in these days of issues-oriented voting (as opposed to values-oriented voting), there is no perfect candidate. This would include Scott Brown, at first glance a nearly perfect candidate, but with a closer look a very imperfect candidate (except for his perfect jaw-line).

For that reason, due to my commitment to 'values-oriented' voting, I will almost always vote for the better of the candidates, a defensive measure that may "improve" that individual office considerably.

Explaining more fully, if the only option I have is to replace a congressman who votes 1 time out of 10 for my values with a congressman who will vote 5 out of 10 times for my values, I consider that a vote and time well-spent, and I will have improved that office five-fold. And hopefully next time I can replace that person with someone who will vote 9 (or 10!) out of 10 times for my values-oriented positions (which I continually work to align with biblical values).

Always "improve the office" if we can. Never allow a stinker to stay if we have any other option. Besides, if we demand only 'perfect' candidates, it will keep many people with good values from running for office. We need to encourage imperfect people (like ourselves) to bring their values to Washington to better the common good.

This must not be taken as an approval of moderate views, but rather an acceptance of the principle that certain tasks and goals may be handled incrementally, as God indicates in Exodus 23:29-30: "29 I will not drive them out from before you in one year, lest the land become desolate and the beasts of the field become too numerous for you. 30 But little by little I will drive them out from before you, until you have increased, and you inherit the land."

I welcome your comments!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment